Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Choosing a Painting Spot

I have learned to look very carefully before setting up near wet areas to paint.  I've shared this story with some of you before, but one day when I was out painting alone and deep in concentration I noticed out of the corner of my eye that something in the landscape had changed.  I turned to look and saw that one of these guys had crawled out of the brush at the edge of the water and was approaching me to check me out...  I was sitting with all my paints spread around me.  Not having any experience with these things I had to think quickly and remembered that somewhere I had heard that if you make yourself bigger than something it can help.  (Right or wrong?).  So I jumped up and roared as loudly as I could in the deepest voice I could muster, throwing my arms up in the air at the same time in a threatening manner.  True as Bob, the gator flipped and went running away into the water!  I was a bit shaken, so I decided to finish the painting in my studio...

Mary Jane Volkmann

2 comments: